Monday: Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup frozen peas and or corn ($0.75 off Green Giant Seasoned Steamers)
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken breast
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup ($0.40 off any THREE Campbell’s Condensed Soups)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 homemade or store bought pie crusts ($0.40 off 3 Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In 1-2 tbsp butter Saute carrots, onions, and celery until soft.
- In a bowl combine the mixed vegetables, chicken, cream of chicken soup and milk. Pour mixture into one of the pie crusts and then top with the second crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Tuesday: Chicken Fajita Recipe
- 2-3 Chicken breasts (depending on family size…we are a family of 5′ish so I will do 3 breasts)
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 whole onion (I love lots of onion)
- 3/4 cups Soy Sauce
- 2 whole Limes
- 1 tbsp taco or fajita seasoning (if you don’t have any, just combine 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder) ($0.60 off 3 Old El Paso products)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (approx 1 tsp each)
- Flour Tortillas, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado (really whatever toppings you like on your fajitas) ($0.60 off 3 Old El Paso products)
- Take your chicken breasts and slice them length wise into thin strips. Salt and pepper chicken lightly. Meanwhile heat up your saute pan with a touch of olive oil.
- Once pan is hot add chicken to pan and saute chicken about 3/4 of the way done. Add onions and peppers to saute pan (slice onions and peppers about 1/2 inch thick, lengthwise). Saute for approximately 3-5 minutes, then add soy sauce, the squeeze the juice of both limes, and seasoning into pan.
- Let saute until all the flavors have meshed well and vegetables are slightly caramelized!
- Assemble your fajita to perfection!!!
Wednesday: French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions (2 red onions and 1 sweet white onion), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cans condensed beef broth
- 1 French baguette
- Sliced Swiss cheese
- Pour 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan. Saute onions until slightly soft and add sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Add butter and melt.
- Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F or until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.
- Ladle soup into, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted
Thursday: Baked Crispy Cornflake Chicken
- 4 lbs drumsticks Chicken (only $0.79/lb at HyVee or Hen House)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups crushed Cornflakes, approx. 2/3 of a box (I prefer frosted flakes ) ($1.00 off any 2 Kellogg’s Cereals)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper (and/or your favorite poultry seasoning…mine is Johnny’s seasoning)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp Butter, melted
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely crush Cornflakes in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a separate mixing beat egg and milk. In a third bowl add flour, salt (or Johnny’s) and pepper.
- Now take a piece of chicken and dip it first in the milk/egg bath, then flour mixture, back to milk/egg mix and finally press firmly in the cornflakes (evenly on all sides).
- Place in single layer, in shallow baking pan and drizzle melted butter over atop the chicken.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until chicken is tender, no longer pink and juices run clear (internal temperature of at least 165ºF)
Friday: Baked Potato Casserole
- 3 1/2 – 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (HyVee or Price Chopper)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (Kraft Cheese at Hen House)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, chopped, divided
- 1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
- Place potatoes in saucepan, and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Cook until tender, then drain well.
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees F.
- Transfer potatoes back to the saucepan. Masher with a potato masher until almost smooth. Add cream cheese, sour cream, butter, milk, salt and pepper. Continue mashing until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and half the bacon. Spoon mixture evenly into a lightly oiled 3-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese, bacon and green onions. Bake for 5 more minutes to melt cheese.