I love soups. All soups. I seriously go soup crazy in the fall and winter…and in the summer I usually find “cold” day to make some soup because I miss it! Here is one of my families favorite soups I make…Cream of Broccoli and Cauliflower soup.
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 cans chicken broth (I use my homemade chicken stock)
- 3-4 cups of broccoli
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups of 2% milk or half & half (I often times substitute with coconut milk it makes a great soup and it’s WAY less fattening)
- Salt, pepper (I use Johnny’s Seasoning for my salt and add a little garlic powder)
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets and boil in chicken stock until al dente (soft but still firm), about 15 minutes. (You may
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over a medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden. Add flour to butter and onion mixture make a rue. Once the rue is thick add milk/cream slowly to mixture slowly, whisking while mixture together.
- Using an electric blender, blend half of the broccoli/cauliflower mixture until smooth. Pour mixture into the cream mixture, along with the remainder of the whole floret mixture. (You may need to add a little more chicken stock at this time if you want a larger batch of soup)
- Turn soup down to a low simmer for about 15 minutes. Maker sure to stir every few minutes to make sure the cream does not burn to the bottom of the pan. Make sure to taste and season to taste.
- Top with cheese and sour cream. Enjoy