When I started my blog up I had a vision…a vision to not only share tips for coupons, but also sharing frugal living tips! Chicken broth is something I have found to be way too expensive! Especially when it is SO easy to make. Here is my recipe for Homemade Chicken Stock. This recipe will make about 8 cups of stock for you to store in your refrigerator to use within the next 7 days or freeze it for later use!
Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 onion, rough cut (quartered is fine)
- 3 stocks of celery (cut into 3rds)
- 3 carrots, rough cut (cut into 3rds)
- 6-8 cups of water
- 1 chicken carcass
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Take the carcass of a chicken, bones, skin and all..and place in a large stock pot. Fill pot with water until the carcass is completely submerged.
- Add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Then turn down to low and let simmer for at least 5-6 hours (you can let this actually simmer for up to 10 hours!!!).
- Make sure to stir every so often (about once an hour) and if you see a foamy build up of fat…go ahead and remove it with a spoon.
- Using a fine slotted strainer or a cheese clothe, pour contents of the pot into a bowl…straining out all the large veggies, bones and even extra meat that falls off the bones.
- Ladle broth into jars or freezer containers and refrigerate (good for up to 6 days) (or freeze and keep for up to 6 months).
Your final results will be chicken broth for less than $0.10 a jar and much much much yummier and healthier!!! Enjoy!!!