Zuppa Toscana Soup
1 pound Italian sausage
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large white onion, diced
3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 slices bacon chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups Water
1 cup Heavy cream (I use 2% for less fat)
3 cups Kale, washed and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium skillet, saute the Italian sausage with the red pepper flakes. (If you want your soup to be more spicy use “hot” Italian Sausage and add 1 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes)
2. In a large pot, saute the bacon. When the bacon is half way cooked, add the onions and garlic. Saute until the onions are tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Add the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
4. Add the potatoes and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
5. Add in the heavy cream and sausage and cook until the soup is heated.
6. Stir in the chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
7. Grate some fresh parmigiana cheese atop and enjoy
***This soup is amazing…in fact if you are a lover of Olive Gardens Zuppa Toscana…you will LOVE this recipe! It’s even better than theirs…I will never have a reason to go to Olive Garden again