Ham Bone Soup with White Beans
- 1 ham bone, with some meat still on it
- 1 cup ham, chopped
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups northern white beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a large pot or dutch oven pour 3 cans of chicken broth, 1 cup water and beans. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and let sit for 1 hour.
- Turn to low heat and place ham bone into the pot with the beans. Add 1-2 cups water and simmer for another 2 hours.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch bite size pieces. Place a separate pot and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes. (Long enough to soften potatoes but not fully cooked). Strain water and set aside.
- Saute onions, garlic, carrots, celery and sweet potatoes in butter with salt and pepper.
- Remove ham bone from the pot and scrape off any remaining ham. Chop ham and place in the saute pan with veggies. Saute for about 1 minute, then combine all ingredients into the large pot with the beans.
- Add 1 more cup water or chicken broth at this time if needed. Let cook for at least another hour.
- Serve hot and delicious!